Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Absurd

In my previous blog about good art, I claimed that one of the prerequisites for good art is that it provides an escape from reality. And I would like to clarify precisely why I have come to think that way. This idea is not one I’ve invented, but rather comes from the realm of existential philosophy. I don’t consider myself an existentialist, but I do think that there is some truth to what some existentialists have said. One such idea is that of the absurd, spelled out most notably by the French author Albert Camus.

Camus defined the absurd as ‘a confrontation between ‘rational’ human beings and an ‘indifferent’ universe” (Solomon 15). Camus saw that we live in a world which is quite honestly indifferent to us and our expectations of it. We unconsciously expect from the world around us what we consciously expect from the people around us. We expect justice (that good be rewarded and bad be punished) and a satisfaction in understanding. But the truth is the universe in unfeeling.

We expect justice from the world, but the age-old problem of theodicy (the problem of evil) reminds us that although we expect justice, the world seems to be suspiciously lacking in that department. This is the absurd in action. Our rational minds project a desire (namely the desire for justice) on to a non-rational universe which, in reality, does not care.

The absurd shows up in another way. Many “scientific minded westerners” hold out the hope that we will find satisfaction and fulfillment in our understanding of the natural world. We expect that if only we could know a little more we could find satisfaction. But the truth is we won’t find satisfaction this way. We can understand much about the world around us, but it will always leave us wanting more. Once again our rational expectations are not fulfilled by the universe.

Our rational minds are at odds with the non-rational world around us. And Camus rightly saw that seeing the absurd can be a depressing thing. Left unchecked, living with the absurd can even lead to despair. But that is not usually the case. Why? Because we can escape from the absurd, if only for a little while, through art. We can, and probably should, also accept the absurd. What accepting the absurd fully means and where that leads is not completely clear to me at this point, but the alternative, despair, is not a viable option as far as I or Camus are concerned.

Albert Camus was an atheist and claimed that even “if there were a God, it would not matter¬– life would still be absurd” (Solomon 15). I agree with him on this point. Even though there is a God, life is still absurd. Looking around I can’t help but notice that the universe does not care about justice or providing human beings with meaning or purpose. The universe is absurd and there is no hope in it. But that is not to say there is no hope at all. There is hope, but to look for it in the universe, to expect that Nature will somehow provide us with a source of hope and meaning is to find absurdity.

Reference:
Solomon, Robert. 2000. No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life. The Teaching Company.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you think good art should only remove you from the absurdity of reality? Often times, if not all times, I find good art takes me away from reality only to bring me back, make me aware of something real, influence me to change.

What do you think about documentaries? I don't think they try to remove you from the absurdity at all ...

The Real Matt Davis said...

You have a good point Trevar. Good art must be rooted in reality somehow (otherwise it wouldn't make any sense). And no I don't know that good art should only provide us with an escape from absurdity. It could also be that good art helps us to deal with and/or accept the absurd. Exactly how that is done and to what it leads I am afraid I don't yet have an answer.

As for documentaries, I think they really blur the line between art and a knowledge transmitting forum (like a textbook or history book). To what extent should we call documentaries art? I'm not sure, but I agree that their effect is often to immerse the viewer in a reality. However, a documentary may be a good way to face the absurd.

Of course, I could also be completely wrong on the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

What about art like Dali's Persistence of Memory or The Temptation of Saint Anthony? Both go through great pains to HIGHLIGHT the absurdity of reality and the mind. They're almost liberating for me: I can't quite place it, but I remember an author stating that there's nothing quite as dreadful as a purpose. Absurdity is something to revel in at times; it can help you realize that you are not shackled by a rational mind, that you can be more than what you are. Too much rationality can lead to stagnation.

Take the sciences. To do things hundreds of times without any success would be considered absurd, but lo we have Edison. Reality and rationalization are the tree that grows from the fruit of an absurd mind.

Absurdity is, in essence, comforting to me because it's a blank check. It's the randomization factor that makes life interesting and worth living. Without absurdity, we are machines. Denying ourselves an attempt to plunge the depths of our irrational selves will only drive you bonkers: if you live in an irrational world, it often helps to have an irrational self as well.

The insane man in an insane world is therefore sane.

Pseudonym said...

Just wanted to say I stopped by, I feel like I have heard all this before. I do enjoy reading your thoughts though. Take care.